Ignite offers a day program for high school aged singers that will take them on a journey of artistic visioning through collaborative performance opportunities, group lessons and workshops catered to the foundation of artist development. This audition-based program will provide participants an authentic experience in the life of a performer inclusive of rehearsals, deadlines and artistic presentation development including stage presentation, speaking skills and image counseling. Supported by legendary Motown artists, and entertainment industry professionals’ participants will be coached daily by musicians, producers and music directors from around the country.
Admitted participants will be selected by audition and provided a full scholarship to attend this 10-day program.
Example of Workshops during Camp:
- Vocal Technique Overview
- Stage Presence
- Style Workshop
- Developing your Brand
- How to Record and Mix Vocals
- Music Management
- Empowerment for the Emerging Artist
- Artistic Collaboration
- Songwriting: expressing yourself
- Open to High School Students completing grades 9-12 in the year prior to the summer workshop
- Singers with at least 1-2 years of experience
Application Deadline: July 23, 2021
- Complete the online application form
Your application must include:
- audition video recording of a self-accompanied, personal performance
- personal statement video that tell a story about who you are as an artist, what your goals are, and why you desire admission into the Motown Ignite program
- most recent school report card
Video Submission Requirements
When asked to submit a video please follow the format below for best results:
- At the beginning of the video, please clearly state your full name, your age and your hometown
- Make sure that your face is clearly visible, with your upper body fairly near the camera and the background simple, uncluttered, and not too bright (e.g., in front of a window)
- Video file should be saved as Last Name, First Name Program Name (e.g. Smith, Ann – Ignite)
- Videos should be submitted in standard video format (e.g. MP4, MOV, AVI or WMV files) and should be no more than 24Mb in size through email. If larger than 24Mb in size, please use a shareable cloud storage site such as Dropbox, Google Drive, YouTube to send the video
- Each video submitted must be performed from beginning to end in one take. No editing is permitted.
- Audio files will not be accepted
- Recording may be made on any device, as long as it is submitted in the appropriate file format and is a clear picture
If sending through a cloud storage site, please be sure to share with edit access to prevent from needing passwords or any back and forth requesting for access
If using a tablet or mobile device to record your video, you will need to download the video to a computer first in order to submit in the acceptable file formats
Application Deadline for all materials to be submitted is July 23, 2021.
Review, admission, and notification for late applications will be on a rolling basis. Space is limited. Admissions decisions will not be given by phone.
What is the cost to participate?
Admitted participants will be selected by audition, and provided a full scholarship to attend this program thanks to the generous support of the Max M. & Marjorie S. Fisher Foundation and the W.K. Kellogg Foundation.
I am going into 9th grade this year, can I participate in the program?
The curriculum framework for the Ignite Summer camp is research-based and developmentally appropriate and is therefore only open to young adults that are completing grades 9-12 in the year prior to the summer workshop. Youth who are younger are encouraged to check out our Spark Summer Camp.
What does an online workshop look like?
A virtual summer workshop is an all-online opportunity to work on challenging projects together with peers from all over the nation during the course of two weeks. A physical meeting place is replaced with an online learning platform where you can check the materials and progress on the project. Communication will be facilitated with tools such as email and the Zoom platform.